February 17, 2011: WHAT TO GET YOUR BOATER WHEN YOU NEED A SPECIAL GIFT
With spring and boating season just around the corner, Flotilla’s 33 of the US Coast Guard Auxiliary, would like to offer some special gift ideas for boaters to help them stay safe all year long, and will surely last longer than roses. Flotilla 33 is headquartered in Kilmarnock, VA.
One of the best gift ideas for boaters is to sign up for a boating safety course. “Knowledge is power, and it has been statistically shown that boaters who have taken a boating safety class are far less likely to be involved in a boating mishap or fatality”, commented Wally Jachimski, Flotilla Staff Officer of 33 for Public Education. Course topics include basic boating handling, required and recommended safety equipment, navigation rules and dealing with boating emergencies. To learn more, call Jachimski at 804 453-5808.
“One of the most valuable gifts for boaters doesn’t cost anything but time, such as scheduling a free vessel safety check with a qualified member of the Coast Guard Auxiliary”, said Brian McArdle, Flotilla Commander of 33. “An examiner will insure your vessel complies with federal, state and local safety requirements before getting underway”. For more information on a free Vessel Safety Check, contact Sam Conge (804 436-1142).
Ten other great gift ideas to help keep boaters safe include:
- Sleek, light-weight and comfortable inflatable life jackets
- A carbon monoxide detector
- Emergency signaling kits – flares, signal mirror, whistle, etc
- Kill switch leash – kills the engine if the boater falls overboard
- Up-to-date navigation charts and/or a handheld GPS unit
- Navigation tools and calculators
- Hand-held VHF marine radio with extra batteries
- Personal emergency position indicating radio beacons
- Tool kit and spare parts for boats
- Personal protective equipment such as First Aid Kit, sun screen, sunglasses, food and water
The price range for these items runs from under $10.00 up to several hundred dollars, but giving the gift of safety to a friend or loved one is priceless and says a lot more then a dozen roses.
For more information on Flotilla 33, please visit http://a0540303.uscgaux.info (no www).